Monday, May 12, 2008

Am I in a Cult?

Watching Nightline tonight and they did a segment on the queen of the "mommy bloggers." She writes candidly about how hard it is to be a mom, and how it sucks sometimes. I can give her props on that! This is where it gets interesting, she lives in Salt Lake City and wait for it......is by her definition a "reformed Mormon." This intrigued me, so I started reading some of her blogs.... yep, she hates the Mormons.

I decided to read the comments people were leaving on the piece Nightline did and ran across this gem..

"I hope she discusses the pitfalls of remaining in a cultish organization which pretends to be a Christian church. The Mormon church has done a lot of damage to women as far as keeping them barefoot and pregnant. And even if she's seen the light, there are thousands who still belong to the Stepford Mormon club of wives."

Am I in a Cult and don't know it? By definition a cult is" a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture considers outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception." (wikipedia)

So, basically if you are not in the Catholic church you are in a cult. Well, I guess I am one of millions. That's comforting! And as far as being Christian I will say this one time on my blog: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I don't think I can be any clearer on that one. I'm sorry if her beliefs have her pigeon-toed into a definition of what a Christian is and can be.

And really, the Mormon church has done damage to women as far as keeping them barefoot and pregnant? Is she seriously insinuating that the Mormon church is knocking us all up? What about our spouses? Are they involved somehow? Do they hold any responsibility, any glory?

To take on her third mute point in her comment.... if any of you know me, or a large number of my "mormon stepford wife" friends, you would be very disappointed in what you find. Frankly, I am no Nicole Kidman people. Did you just read my blog?

2 comments:

Jer and Jacquie O said...

Oh dear Randi! Sometimes I feel so sad for you because you are so shy and you never feel comfortable expressing yourself!
Okay, really, it was a great rant! I think you are all that.
Love, quie

Gina said...

Oh my gosh... I am laughing so hard I almost had to take a pottie break in the middle of your blog! Seriously, POWER to MORMON WOMEN! This "reformed idiot" does not know who she is up against. And I agree I take full responsibility for knocking my wife up (twice now) and give no credit to the Church whatsoever... although I think it is a miracle and believe GOD had a lot to do with it.