Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dare I Say It.....

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that I have been running various 5ks ( 3.1 miles). Well, about 4 months ago, Melissa and I decided that we wanted to train to run a 10K ( 6.2 miles) and we got to work. I am happy to report that today we completed our goal and successfully ran a 10k. It was not at all what we expected but we persevered and completed our challenge.


We ran the Blue Bell Fun Run in Brenham, Texas today, and anyone who lives in this state knows what the weather was, but for those that don't- it was DOWN POURING. It was THUNDERING. It was LIGHTNING. And we got up and drove 100 miles in said MONSOON to go run the thing. Why? Because we are NUTS!!!, and when you have trained to do something for that long you are going to do it, come "hell or high water" ( never thought it would literally happen that there was hell and high water but Hey! the day came, and we did it!)
(Before the race started, notice the black sky in the background,but most importantly see how dry we are!!)

So, we showed up and found out that the race had been postponed. Let me tell you that the postponing didn't help- at all! We still ran the ENTIRE race in rain. At times heavy rain, and at times heavy wind+Rain+up hill. But again we did it. We actually wanted to do it! My dad ran with us and was fabulous as always, and we actually had a really great time!

( Notice we are still smiling after the race, the sky is still grey, and we are now drenched. We wore those ponchos the WHOLE time. Rain has a funny way of making it into a poncho while you are running, and YES we were the SEXIEST TRIO there!!)


I never in a MILLION years thought that I would one day run-AT ALL! Then today, when I saw 1 mile left and thought, "Only a mile? I can do that!" I have to tell you, it was in that moment- in the rain, and the wind, and the mountain yet to climb, that I finally allowed myself to say, for the first time.....


I AM A RUNNER!!
( finish time 1:21:27)

7 comments:

Lori Silva said...

You are my new hero!!!
Well okay you already were, but now your even cooler.
I'm truly proud of you babe!!

Erin said...

I am wicked proud of you!!! Congrats on the finish!! You guys did awesome!! Love you lots!!!

Laura said...

I am so impressed! First of all, I wouldn't be running 6,2 miles, but I definitely wouldn't be running it in the pouring rain! You guys ROCK!!

B said...

congrats you runner you! way to go, here are a bunch of warm DRY hugs and kisses XOXOXOXOXOXO!!
love you!

Katie Evans said...

Randi!
I am throughly impressed!!! Seriously. You inspire me to run. Any plans for your next race? I think I might like to join you. That is, if I can weasel my way in to the sexy trio. (I'll work on my sexiness)
We can train by starting up our own Zumba/Double Dare workout.

P.S. I loved your comment about winning the 6 days/7 night trip to space camp. Jonathon said he was SO jealous of the kids that won it.

Gina said...

Wow... all I can say is WOW!

nikkicrumpet said...

YAY YOU! I am so proud of you! Of course I knew all about it because your mom was telling me how amazing her kids and hubby are! It was so fun to get to see your mom run her Boston Marathon 5K. I lost my voice cheering her on! I got some totally awesome pictures of her too....I can't wait to post them.