Monday, January 26, 2009

2009 Chevron Houston Marathon!

Last weekend my parents, yup you heard right, my PARENTS ran the Houston Marathon ( 26.2 miles). It was one of the greatest experiences I have had watching a sporting event.

To watch thousands of people, putting their bodies through what I think is one of the hardest challenges of physical, mental, and emotional endurance, just because they want to- is inspiring. These were not all "fit" people. They were average, American people. We saw businesses running together, groups of mom's, churches, non-for profits, couples, dad's and daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc. It was amazing. My Dad's parents were in Houston to see the race, and they too kept saying how surprising it was to see all these different people running the race. It was beautiful!
I started the day at the 8 mile mark with my Brother, and our friend Vero, who had flown in from New York to watch. We sat on the sidewalk and shouted and cheered for all the runners- we shouted their names ( as is customary at a marathon, you get it off their bibs) and thoughts of encouragement. My brother was hilarious, and he was echoing Vero as she shouted their names:

Vero: Go Scott! You look great! Running Strong!
Nate: Scott- EE-YEAH!!!

Vero: Go Abbby! Looking good!
Nate: Abby- EE-YEAH!!!

Vero: Go Tammy, and Mark!
Nate: TAMM-AAA, MARK! EE-YEAH!!!

The only other highlight was that we ALMOST sat in front of the most unamazing karaoke guy I have EVER HEARD!! Let's just say that " WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" sung in a very THICK Chinese accent does not have the desired effect! Oh! How I wish I had captured that moment for you all!

The three of us then met up with Paul, my kids, and my Grandparents at mile 12, in the heights area of Houston. This is right by Rice university and one of my favorite areas of the city. My parents were still running strong and looking great!

We all then headed to mile 18. It was also at this time, that the reprieve we hoped we would get for the runners from the heat was not going to happen. It got to be 65 by the time they were finished- too hot for marathon running! We also realized at mile 18 that we were seeing the same people pass us every time. I became irrationally attached to these people. I will never see them again, but I was so excited for them when I watched them cross the finish line, and also had the irrational thought that I had something to do with it. At mile 18, my mom who was running with a just healed injury, was starting to "feel it." So our friend Vero, who also runs marathons, jumped in with my parents at this point and ran with them. I know that really helped them out. It was really hot, and I know that her optimism really helped out on that course! :)

The next time we saw them was at mile 22. My mom was feeling better after a dose of ice water, but my Dad was now the one "feeling it." This was my Mom's second Marathon so she had an idea of what to expect those last miles, but this was my Dad's first experience! When training to run a marathon, the longest you run in training is 21 miles, the last 5 you do with pure heart. You really "see" that heart shining through those runners when you see them miles 22-26.

The next time we saw my parents was at the finish line! We watched them cross the finish line. It was beautiful watching them hold hands and cross that finish line together! My Mom and Dad also befriended a man named "Rick", who asked if he could join them the last few miles. I think it helped my Mom and Dad to encourage him to the finish line! I am very proud of them! They have inspired us all, and we have decided that this time next year, all of us that can will run the Half marathon together!!

I love you Mom and Dad! I am amazed at all you two do! Thanks for sharing that amazing experience with us! WE LOVE YOU!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I am sad I missed it! Thanks for the updates each mile marker...Super proud of Mom and Dad! They are super inspiring! We are lucky kids! Glad you guys got to be there. Love ya!

nikkicrumpet said...

So cool what you parents are doing. I've always admired them...they've been heros of mine for years...but they continue to inspire me! And Terry has a bit more gray in the beard since last time I saw him lol. But they look BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so hoping to get to see her in the spring when she heads out this way. I have my fingers crossed!

savannah said...

Your parents are so awesome! I can't even picture me doing something like that let alone paretns! So Cool!

The Jen said...

A. Your parents are awesome.
2. Happy belated birthday Paul, I am sorry I missed it.
D. Not only is the sauce the boss, WE are boss. (You know like the equivalent of cool from the 1980's?)

Can you name the movie in which A. 2. and D. are used? I'll give you 5 points if you can :)

Jer and Jacquie O said...

Wow!!!! That is so incredible. That is some endurance and crazy motivation! Tell your parents that we are immediately joining their fan club!